Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Excruciating Pain

I am still alive but man have I had a bad few days. I woke up on Saturday to the most excruciating pain in my lower abdomen. The pain then moved to my back and was on the right side and just kept getting worse. I ended up going to the ER and found out that I had a kidney stone.

I just now finally passed the stone a couple of hours ago. On top of the stone I also had a UTI. I have been drinking tons of water and just dulling the pain with pain pills as I go along. I was told by several people to partake in a beer so I did that on Monday night and then again on Tuesday night. I only drank one beer each night and it was a Corona Light. I very rarely ever drink but this has been so horrible that I would do anything to get through it.

The ER doctor told me that the stone could be due to my new diet. I also think that I was not drinking enough water. I do not drink any caffeine drinks and pretty much only drink water, except for some crystal light every now and then. I just don't think I was drinking enough of it. I was especially bad at getting enough fluids when I was exercising. So my new goal is to step-up the fluids. I am just never all that thirsty, so this is going to be a challenge for me.

I did not do any exercising Sat-Mon but finally on Tuesday night I eased back into it by doing my lower body Pilates' DVD. I am ready to get back into my workout routine. I have not eaten much but on Monday I did eat some sweets, well more than just some sweets more like a lot of sweets. Jeremiah had brought some goodies home and I ended up eating a cupcake, a mini-chocolate eclair (that wasn't even very good), a handful of Jordan almonds, and some of a Hershey's chocolate and almond bar. Luckily for me earlier in the day my appetite had still been gone so all I had eaten was a wrap with some meat, lettuce and tomato, so I did not totally kill my calories. I just didn't eat anything worthwhile at all. On Saturday and Sunday I could barely even keep water down so I did not eat anything at all until very late Sunday when I had a three chicken fajitas on corn tortillas. Maybe I lost a few pounds just from all the throwing up on Saturday. That would be the only bright light in any of this.

I am just happy that the stone passed and that I can get back to normal. I got to save the stone and will be giving it to my Dr so that he can get it analyzed. I do not ever want to have to go through this again and by analyzing the stone I can get an idea what caused it.


  1. Sorry to hear about your kidney stone. Hopefully all is well so you can give your all for the Long Hot Active Summer challenge. GOGOGO.

  2. I am so so sorry to hear about a kidney stone. I have had 7 they suck! You have to drink a gallon of water a day. During warm weather you can develop a stone in 24 hours. I am so glad yours passed. Scary huh. I follow a kidney stoney diet of sorts. No dark cola sodas, I do lemonade a lot that keeps stones from forming. No chocolate. If they can tell you what kind of stone you have it will help you food wise decide what is your trigger.

    Hang in.

  3. Push the fluids for sure.
    360NM is right. Find out what the stone is made out of. It does make a difference.
    and I hate to say it, but there may be more :(

    Feel better!

  4. Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to send the stone in to get it analyzed. So far I have kept up the water intake and will just continue to do so day by day.

    I got back to working out today. I did an hour of strength training and my aerobics and then we also went an walked for 30 mins. It was supposed to be a run day but I had to settle for a brisk walk.

    I am so excited about this challenge and hope to see some amazing results! Good luck to you all as well.

  5. A tip I heard on drinking enough is to set an alarm to go off every hour on the hour and drink 8oz. That will keep you hydrated all day and you'll exceed your water requirements.